Bài 42: Thì quá khứ tiếp diễn (The past continuous)
- Bài 32: This, that, these and those
- Bài 33: Tính từ trong tiếng anh mô tả danh từ (Ajectives in English describe nouns)
- Bài 34: Dạng so sánh hơn nhất của tính từ (The superlative form of adjectives)
- Bài 35: Dạng so sánh hơn kém cho tính từ (The comparative form for adjectives)
- Bài 36: So sánh kép (Double comparative)
- Bài 37: Thì quá khứ đơn (The simple past tense)
- Bài 38: Thì quá khứ đơn - phần 2 (The simple past tense - part 2)
- Bài 39: The past tense song - You needed Me by Anne Murray
- Bài 40: Thì quá khứ đơn (The simple past tense - part 3)
- Bài 41: Thì quá khứ và thì hiện tại hoàn thành (The past tense and the present perfect)
- Bài 43: Thì quá khứ hoàn thành (The past perfect tense)
- Bài 44: Thì tương lai sử dụng
- Bài 45: Thì tương lai hoàn thành (The future perfect tense)
- Bài 46: Phát âm cho động từ có quy tắc ở thì quá khứ (Pronunciation of Past Tense Regular Verbs)
- Bài 47: Động từ khuyết thiếu trong ngữ pháp tiếng Anh
- Bài 48: Can=(be) able to
- Bài 49: Must=have to
- Bài 50: Làm thế nào để sử dụng từ "need" trong tiếng Anh
- Bài 51: Động từ khuyết thiếu và dạng tiếp diễn
- Bài 52: Một câu là gì? (What is a sentence?)
Green forest presents
When I was having my lunch…
My boss called.
When I was having my lunch, my boss called.
When I was taking pictures…
I met my friend
When I was taking picture, I met my friend.
When Lena was working I asked her to make some copies.
When Lena was working, I asked her to make some copies.
So, what’s that?
We form the past continuous.
We're the past form of the verb “to be”: was, were, plus V-ing of the main verb.
We use it for:
Exact past time action: Yesterday at 12 o’clock I was having my lunch.
Interrupted action: When Lena was working I asked her to make some copies.
Background action: the sun was shining, the birds were singing, when I was having my lunch.
Two or more parallel actions: People were watching, while actors were playing.
We use it for:
Exact past time action
Two or more parallel actions.
Let’s try together
Choose WAS or WERE
1) Yesterday at 7 p.m. I WAS / were walking in the park.
2) She WAS/were cooking dinner, when her husband came home.
3) We was/ WERE having lunch at noon yesterday.
4) They was/ WERE dancing all night long.
Past continuous or simple
1) When I WAS DRINKING/ drank tea my brother came home.
2) The kids WERE PLAYING/ played in the garden, when their mum called them home.
3) The police WAS LOOKING/ looked for the criminal, while he WAS HIDING/ hid in an old house.
What’s were they doing yesterday at 5 p.m.?
What was she doing yesterday at 5. p.m?
She WAS HAVING coffee.
She WAS WRITING
She WAS LISTENING to the music
What were they doing yesterday at 5 p.m?
They WERE GIVING a concert.
He WAS PLAYING the guitar.
He WAS PERFORMING on stage.
“So then we can go ahead. And get it scrolling and I am going to do it in the skillet.
I’m just going to brown them. Get them brown a little bit. We can finish it in the water about 400 degrees. And I’m going to finish…”
What was she doing yesterday at 5 p.m.?
She WAS COOKING salmon.
She WAS EXPLAINING how to cook salmon.
She WAS PUTTING salmon into a frying pan.